Immigration Issues/If the petitioner dies...

Question

I already know about the information about the law allowing substitute sponsor to take the place of a dead petitioner. The problem that we have is the steps in applying. Where this application be sent?  What are the application forms to be used?
To whom this application be addressed to? Do I really need a lawyer?  What is the address of this matter in the USCIS web page?
I cannot find it. In case the Attorney General says "no" to the humanitarian reinstatement, can this be appealed or a new updated set of applications be sent?  Thanks a lot.
Best regards, Fern

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Fern,

Regarding a substitution for humanitarian reinstatement, that can be a wild goose chase.  You are right.  Step one is very very vague and CIS does not make it easy.  Generally, you have to file your request with the agency that initially approved the I-130.  Depending on how old the I-130 is, you may have an issue just requisitioning the file back to your local CIS/Service Center.  As far as the form to submit:  there is NO form.  This is how "extraordinary" the exception in the law is.  And you read me right...this is an exception, there is no form, no articulated procedure, no standard process, no guarantee on your request.

Do you really need a lawyer?  Only if you want to ensure that it's done by someone with experience.  To me, it's like filing your taxes or performing a surgery on yourself (or in this case, your relative).  Depending on how complex the issue is, depending on how much effort you want to put into it, depending on whether or not time is of the essence are all considerations that you should weigh.  

Finally, humanitarian reinstatements are not a priority to the USCIS.  CIS has reported in the past years that the queue is about 2+ years.  This is the reality, unfortunately.  But everyone has different results.  I wish you good luck.

Kind regards,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto