Immigration Issues/Changing visa status B1/B2 to F1

Question
Hello!
 During the period 1994-98 I was an international student in the US; graduated with a bachelor degree and after pursued career as a professional athlete in the US and Europe. Now I am intending to go back for a masters degree. Currently I am holding a B1/B2 visa valid until 2018. My question is should I proceed and travel to the US, enter with my current visa, apply to the university program there and change the status of my visa there or do all the paper work from abroad?  Would you explain me the options in my case.

thank you in advance

Answer

As the USCIS no longer recommends changing status from visitor to student, my advice is to apply to university and be issued Form I-20 by the university. Then you should apply directly at a U.S. Consulate in your home country for issuance of F1 visa stamp. There is a good probability of being issued the F1 visa stamp as you were earlier in the U.S. in F1 status and presumably maintained your F1 status by being a full-time student during your stay in the U.S. as student.

Ajay K. Arora