Immigration Issues/F-1 Student and employment

Question
I am currently an F-1 student and do not have any off campus work authorization. I was wondering if it is ok for me to own some equity in an LLC and derive annual dividend from it. Also, is the dividend supposed to be proportional to my equity in the company or can it be arbitrarily decided by the equity holders.

Answer

It is OK to be an investor in a company. However, you should not be involved in day-to-day management of the company as the USCIS may classify this level of activity as employment, which is not authorized in F1 status unless, in limited circumstances, you have OPT or CPT.

Dividend or other investment income, based on above limitations, is fine.

Ajay K. Arora