Immigration Issues/H Visa limit for 6 years

Question

My wife was on H1B visa for more than 6 years (she dropped out of the green card process and switched to F1). But I have still 1 year left on H1B. We both switched to F visa and we are getting into the Green card process through our employer. Our lawyer said I will initially be on the leftover H1B period during the labor certification.  In this case, will my wife get a H4 visa considering the fact that she has already spent more than 6 years on the H1B? Or she needs to leave the country for 1 year?

Answer

The general rule is that an individual can spend 6 years in H1B status plus 6 years in H4 staus. Thus, your wife will be eligible for a full 6 years in H4 status, even though she has already spent 6 years in H1B status. She will not be required to depart the U.S. for one year.

Ajay K. Arora