Immigration Issues/H1b extension and transfer

Question
My H1b Visa is Filed at USICS. I have the file number also.
1. Can I change employer before my H1B extension gets approved?
2. If yes. what if, before my Extension is approved and my new employer files for transfer, I get a RFE ( request for evidence).

Please advice.

Answer

First scenario: Co. B can file H1B petition requesting extension of your status. It is best if this H1B petition is filed prior to your current I-94 expiration date through Co. A, as even if Co. A's ext. is denied, the USCIS should grant extension of status for H1B petition through Co. B.

Second scenario: If H1B petition is filed by Co. B after I-94 expiration of Co. A, it is still OK to work for Co. B upon filing (you do not have to wait for approval) under H1B portability rules as Co. A filed for extension on a timely basis (prior to its I-94 expiration).

The problem arises if you start working for Co. B under the second scenario, and Co. A's extension is denied. In this instance the USCIS will not grant extension of status for H1B petition filed by Co. B since the "chain" or "circle" has been broken.

You can contact our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for additional guidance.

Ajay K. Arora