Immigration Issues/Immigration visa or green card through family

Question
I am 29 years old married, having husband and two kids elder son is 7 yrs and younger son is 1 years old. My question is that, I had elder brother in USA, previously he was in US army and at presently he had joined in NYPD from last one year. He had send us Invitation letter couple of times on his convocation day at NYPD in New York last year but our visa had be rejected both the times by visa consular at Kolkatta, India. Now, my brother wants us to apply for immigration of all my family. So I am eligible for this according to the US law? If yes then how long it takes time where I have to fill up the form? Because I am staying at Sikkim in Indian we don't have much Idea about this?

Answer

If your brother is a U.S. citizen, he can sponsor you and your spouse/children in the 4th family preference category by filing an immigrant petition with the USCIS. Information about family sponsorship categories is here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

It normally takes about 10 years for a visa to be available in the 4th family preference category (also known as for the priority date to be current) before the Consulate will issue you and your family an immigrant visa (green card) to travel to the U.S.  

Ajay K. Arora