Immigration Issues/L1 to J2

Question
Hi, I am presently in the US working for a company X on L1B visa and my spouse is in the US on J1 visa. I want to process my J2 status without leaving the US. Is it possible to get J2 petition approved without giving up L1B status. Secondly can I continue working for my company X on L1B even after my J2 petition as well as EAD is approved.Lastly I would like to know if something else than DS-2019 is required for J2 petition.

Answer

To change status from L1B to J2 within the U.S., Form I-539 must be properly filed with the USCIS: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-539.pdf

Form DS-2019 is not relevant when changing status in the U.S.

Once you are granted J2 status by the USCIS, you will automatically lose your L1B status, as you can hold only one status in the U.S. and the latest action would have been approval of J2 application by the USCIS. You can work for your employer while maintaining either L1B status, or J2 (with EAD) status.

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for any additional guidance.

Ajay K. Arora