Immigration Issues/Mother-in-Law Visa Options

Question
My wife is near completing her 2-year conditional Green Card to permanent Green Card Process and has been here almost three years.  I am a U.S. citizen.  My wife wishes to have her mother come from the Philippines to stay with us as long as legally possible.  Are we better off applying for a B2 Visa, or can we have her come here as a housekeeper/nanny under a work visa of some sort.  Thanks for taking this question!

Answer

Since your wife can sponsor a parent only when she becomes a U.S. citizen, the mother should apply directly at a U.S. Consulate in the Philippines for a B2 visa. Information about family sponsorship categories is here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Employer sponsorship is not feasible, as the process is not generally successful for a relative and, moreover, the process is quite lengthy (normally taking several years). Employer sponsorship is initiated through the filing of a PERM application (also known as application for labor certification) as per www.h1b1.com/laborcert.htm but as indicated it is not recommended in this instance.

Ajay K. Arora