Immigration Issues/Starting a US corporation

Question

Is it legal for a foreign national on a student visa to start a US corporation and get paid through his own corporation, and if so, in what form. Can my own corporation eventually sponsor me for a green card? What would be the requirements?

Thanks,
Simon.

Answer

Anyone in any status can be an investor in a company. However, you cannot be employed (and this includes day-to-day management of the company) without specific employment authorization such as, for example, OPT (which you should receive after completing your program of studies in F1 status), or H1B visa status.

The following link from our website is helpful: http://h1b1.com/faq.htm#myself

Although an H1B petition can be successfully filed, the GC process is not recommended through a company which is owned in whole or in part by the sponsored employee, since the GC process requires advertising for U.S. workers, and the Department of Labor is likely to conclude that recruitment for U.S. workers will be biased if the beneficiary of the GC process is an owner of the company, or even if the beneficiary is related to an owner of the company. Information about the GC process is here: www.h1b1.com/laborcert.htm

Ajay K. Arora