Immigration Issues/convert L1b to L1A

Question

I have an L1B which expires in 50 days from now.
My company (TCS) wants to file an L1A.
Is it allowed before L1B expires?
or can we file it now itself?

i have 6+ years of experience today.
i have been promoted to a manager role in june 2009.
i have not been in the USA since feb 2009.(more than 1 year)
i am in india and working with my company since last 4 years.

Please advise

Thanks,
Amrendra

Answer

Since L1A requires employment as manager or executive for at least one year during the past 3 years, and since you have not been present in the U.S. for at least one year even though you have L1B approval from the USCIS (formerly the INS), the employer can file L1A petition for you with the USCIS requesting consular processing so that upon approval of L1A petition by the USCIS you can apply for L1A visa stamp from the nearest U.S. Consulate. Additional information about L1 category is here: www.h1b1.com/L1visa.htm

Ajay K. Arora