Immigration Issues/discrepancy in Surname & given name

Question
My full name is Kamal Sham Kumar & in my Passport issued by Govt of India Surname column is blank whereas in the given name column my full name KAMAL SHAM KUMAR is written.

In the previous visa issued by US embassy in India my Surname shown was KUMAR & Given Name was KAMAL SHAM.

In the fresh visa that I received today Surname shown is:
KAMAL SHAM KUMAR & in the given name they wrote FNU
I have no idea what FNU is. Do I need to get the same corrected
& to whom to approach in DELHI.

Kamal

Answer
FNU stands for first name unavailable, and is quite common designation where there is no clear distinction made in passport between given name and surname. Since the surname field in visa stamp cannot be blank, the new visa that you were issued is valid for travel based on FNU written in given name field, so no action is required.

Ajay K. Arora