Immigration Issues/Different names on green card and passport

Question
Dear Ajay - I received a welcome letter from USCIS saying my green card is approved. My case was actually held up for a couple of days after the interview before it was approved, as my name on the birth certificate is different from the one on my passport. It is because a third given name was added to my full name when I turned 18 (and no name change document was required in my country). The new full name was then used on my passport. USCIS approved my case based on my old name on the birth certificate. Now I have to travel outside US very soon for work reason. What shall I do? If I ask USCIS to use my new name, I am afraid they may reconsider and turn down my case. Can I use my advance parole instead to come back to US (which has my new full name on)? If I ask USCIS to stamp a green card approval on my passport, will they do that as the name is different?

Answer

You cannot enter on advance parole document since I-485 has been approved.

If you travel prior to receiving your actual green card in the mail from the USCIS, I suggest that you make an appointment through Infopass (search the USCIS website for Infopass) and obtain temporary green card stamp at the local USCIS office. Take your I-485 approval notice and identification including passport and birth certificate and any other identification such as driver's license or employment authorization document if available. There will be no issue in obtain the temporary green card stamp since your identity will not be in doubt with various sources of identification.

Ajay K. Arora