Immigration Issues/H1B to H4

Question
I am currently on H1B visa and plan to quit my job by October since I will be getting married and moving to a different city to be with my future husband. My future husband is already on H1B visa. I would like to consider one of the two options:
1. Get married in India come back and then apply for COS from H1B to H4
2. Quit before I go to India, get married and then come on H4.

I would like to consider option 2. Could you provide me pros and cons for the two options.

Also, do I need to leave immediately once I quit my job or I have a grace period of 1-2 days?

Answer

H1B visa status requires employment with the H1B employer. However, there is a 10-day grace period in H1B visa status. Thus, you can remain legally in the U.S. for up to 10 days after termination of your employment.

Option 2 is recommended, since if you resign your employment you cannot enter the U.S. on H1B visa stamp.

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for additional guidance.

Ajay K. Arora