Immigration Issues/International Student and immigration

Question
Hello Ajay K. Arora.
I am currently an international student on an F-1 Visa. My question is: Can I apply for a green card after I get my bachelor's degree? Actually, my aunt told me that it is possible to do that. If it is impossible, what process should I follow in order to get a green card and work legally here in the United States. Thank very much Ajay K. Arora.

Answer

F1 status does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S.

You cannot be sponsored by your aunt. The following categories are applicable for sponsorship by a family member: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

I recommend that you find an employer willing to file an H1B petition for you once you complete a bachelor's degree. This is a nonimmigrant visa category allowing for employment, and while in this status, an employer can support you for employer sponsorship leading to a green card. In general, PERM has to be certified by the Department of Labor before additional steps towards the GC process can be taken:
http://h1b1.com/laborcert.htm

Ajay K. Arora