Immigration Issues/J-1 Married to US Citizen

Question
I am a J-1 student not subject to two-year rule. I have the intention of getting married to a US citizen. However, I don't know whether I can continue my internship after getting married to her and after applying for adjustment of status.

Thank you in advance.

Answer

Since you are not subject to the 2-year home country requirement, after marriage all sponsorship paperwork will be filed concurrently with the USCIS, including adjustment of status application, employment authorization and advance parole document applications to allow you to work and travel independently of J1 status. Thus, there will be no interruption in your internship.

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for additional guidance.

Ajay K. Arora