Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 COS - 2011

Question
I am currently in US on L1 and have an approved H1B petition with COS effective from Oct 1 2010. Is there any grace period during which I can continue to stay on L1 and move to my H1 employer after that grace period? My intention is to wait till Jan 2011.
Many thanks in advance.

Answer

You will automatically be in H1B status on Oct. 1, 2010 and will no longer be in L1 status.

The only way to avoid this is to travel abroad prior to Oct. 01 and enter the U.S. on unexpired L1 visa stamp after Oct. 01. Then the latest action is entry to the U.S. in L1 status, and thus you will be in L1 status.

Ajay K. Arora