Immigration Issues/Re entry in USA on B2 visa

Question
Dear Ajay,

My Mother was issued a USA visa in Feb 2007 and came to USA in Apr 07 and we applied for a extension of stay for  6 months which was granted in June 07 however due to personal reasons she had to leave USA in Aug 07 and again came back in Sep 07 and stayed till mar 08. She made her third visit in Oct 08 and stayed till Feb 09. She had her fourth visit from Feb 10 to Aug 10  and now wishes to come back in Sept 10 , She has a valid 10 yr multiple entry visa. Will she have any immigration issues? Awaiting an answer thank you.

Answer

Spending so much time in the U.S. in visitor visa status can result in more detailed questions at the port-of-entry regarding whether the visitor has a permanent address abroad where he or she intends to return after the temporary trip to the U.S.

There could be questions about how the visitor is supporting himself or herself in the U.S. financially (unauthorized employment?) and about whether so much time is affecting employment, or studies if applicable, etc. in the country of permanent residence, and whether the visitor intends to reside permanently in the U.S.

Perhaps this time the immigration inspector will only authorize 2 or 3 months of stay in the U.S., and also note on the I-94 "no COS or EOS", meaning no change or extension of status authorized in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora