Immigration Issues/Social Security

Question
Hi, my H1B petition has been approved and I am scheduled for an interview at the US consulatate in my country next month. Is the chance that I will get denied as high as getting a tourist visa? Another question, could I get a Social Security number even before I get my work visa? If yes, how do I get it? Thanks!

Answer

The probability of the Consulate issuing the H1B visa stamp is much higher than for B1/B2 (tourist) visa stamp, as H visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S., unlike, for example, visitor or student visa categories.

When you are in the U.S., you should apply for social security number with the local social security office.

Ajay K. Arora