Immigration Issues/Tourist visa

Question

I am currently holding a B2 visa and would like to enroll in certificate
programs  like photography. I am currently employed in my native country as
a finance analyst and would like to extend my stay here. can I change my visa
to a student visa that way?

Answer

The USCIS discourages changing status from visitor to F1 student status within the U.S. In order to obtain F1 visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate in your home country, you should obtain admission to a program of study in the U.S. and the college or university will issue you Form I-20, which are required documents when you apply at the U.S. Consulate. Additional information about the F1 visa category is here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

If you want to extend your B2 status in the U.S. (please note that B2 status does not allow studying in the U.S.), Form I-539 must be properly filed with the USCIS prior to I-94 expiration. Additional information is here: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/New%20Structure/3rd%20Level%20%28Left%20Nav%20Childre

You can contact our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for additional guidance about extending B2 visa status.

Ajay K. Arora