Immigration Issues/marrying before or after citizenship application

Question
I am now a legal permanent resident and will apply for citizenship soon. I would like to get married and sponsor my future wife (and her children from previous marriage)for green card. She entered legally on a tourist visa but subsequently overstayed.
What is the best course of action. Should I get married now before I apply for citizenship or after I become a citizen. How will marriage affect my citizenship application?
Thank you.

Answer

You can get married anytime. However, as you are about to apply for naturalization soon, there is no advantage in filing the Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) in your capacity as LPR (lawful permanent resident). You may as well wait until you become a citizen to sponsor your spouse, since that will allow for concurrent filing of both I-130 as well as adjustment of status application (Form I-485) for your spouse and allow her to receive resident status in the U.S. based on initial legal entry to the U.S. (even if I-94 has subsequently expired) and marriage to U.S. citizen. Marriage prior to filing your naturalization application is not a disadvantage.

You can directly call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for additional information.

Ajay K. Arora