Immigration Issues/I-485A

Question
I am in the US on a student visa. I am here for less than a year. I am 20yrs. I am married to a US citizen. The wedding was done in the US. I entered the US legally and was inspected by an immigration officer and I have my copy of my I-94 and it hasn't expired. I have only been in the US for two weeks now. I have known my wife for three years now. Do I have to pay the $1000 penalty fee under section 245i of I-485A?

Answer

As you have entered the U.S. legally and are married to a U.S. citizen, all sponsorship paperwork such as petition for alien relative, adjustment of status application, etc. can be filed concurrently. You are not subject to sec. 245(i) and thus the $1000 penalty does not apply.

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for guidance.

Ajay K. Arora