Immigration Issues/Affidavit of support RFE after filing I485

Question
I am a PHD student in F1 status married to a US citizen and have filed
I485/I130. My husband does not make the  required amount for the affidavit
of support form so we are also using my income. I submitted my valid I20,
I94 copy, photocopy of my expired F1 visa, W2 and taxes for 2009,
employment letter from my department stating that I'm employed as a
graduate student research assistant. I received an RFE stating that that I
should submit evidence that I was authorized to work in the US. Since I'm a
PhD student I am required to do research and receive a $26500/year stipend
from my school . The designated school official (DSO) gives authorization to
work on campus for no more than 20 hours per week for which all F1 PhD
students comply with.In addition I have never been out of status since 2003.
My question is should I submit a letter from the DSO stating that I have been
authorized to work on campus? What should be in this letter to satisfy the
RFE?
Thanks!

Answer

Yes, if you do not have OPT or CPT, please submit letter from the DSO verifying that you are maintaining your full-time F1 student status and that you are authorized to work on-campus for 20 hours per week, and indeed that it is a requirement of the Ph.D. program. You and your husband can combine your income with Form I-864A.

Ajay K. Arora