Immigration Issues/COS to H1

Question
I got my L1 stamped on 30 Oct 2007 and also applied for H1 during April 2008 when I was in India. On June 1 2008, I came to US and in July 2008 I learnt that my H1 got approved from USCIS. However in Dec 2009 I went to India on vacation and came back on L1. Can i apply for a COS to H1 and start working here? I heard from my H1 employer that since i left the country and did not get it stamped, I am not eligible now to apply for a COS. Can you please confirm? I appreciate your help on the same and will help me to take a better decision.

Answer

You cannot request "extension of H1B status" since you are not currently in H1B status, but there is no problem in obtaining "change of status" from L1 to H1B.

In addition, you are not subject to the H1B visa cap since you earlier (within the past six years) had H1B approval even if you were not technically in H1B status earlier. Thus, any company can file H1B petition for you requesting change of status to H1B.

You can call our law firm during business hours at 212-268-3580 or email info@h1b1.com for guidance.

Ajay K. Arora