Immigration Issues/F-1 student and marriage to U.S. citizen

Question
Hello,

I just got married to my wife whom is a student with a F-1 visa. We got
married in June of this year and have been working on the change of status
forms. We currently have a appointment with the approved doctor for the I-
693 form scheduled in October 07. As soon as we received this record we can
mail all the forms along with the appropriate funding. Our concern is we
registered her for class as a part time student. To get to the point. What
should we be concerned about if she looses her Visa Status? We are legally
married and are processing the forms. Could the forms be rejected if her
status is terminated? Is she under any imminent threat of departure? Please
let us know. Thank you.

Answer

If all sponsorship paperwork such as petition for alien relative, adjustment of status, etc. are properly filed, your wife can continue to remain legally in the U.S. even if she subsequently is no longer a full-time student. I recommend that she maintain her full-time student status until the sponsorship paperwork can be filed to allow her full rights such as ability to travel while the sponsorship paperwork is being adjudicated.

You can call our law firm during business hours at 212-268-3580 or email info@h1b1.com for guidance.

Ajay K. Arora