Immigration Issues/F1 change of status

Question
Dear Sir:

My friend has a pending B2-F1 COS application. She does not know if this application will go through. Just in case the COS may be denied, she wants to prepare for the alternative option - consulate processing. She understands that she can't leave U.S. while the COS is pending. Otherwise, the COS will be treated as abandoned. However, can she "plan" an international trip when the COS is pending (i.e., making a consulate appoitment for interview, booking plane ticket)? If the COS goes through, she can cancel all the reservations. Is it right that the COS is treated to be abandoned only if she "physically" departs U.S.?

Thanks!

Answer

You are correct in your assumption that if your friend physically departs the U.S. the change of status application will be denied.

However, there is no problem in planning to depart the U.S., and indeed it is a prudent idea in case the COS is denied, since there is technically no grace period which allows an individual to remain legally after denial of COS to F1 status.

Ajay K. Arora