Immigration Issues/H1C Visa expiring

Question
My H1c visa will expire on Feb.11,2011 with I-140 approved(PD
Jan.13,2006).Is there any option for me to be able to stay in
the US while waiting for immigrant visa availability?  

Answer

In order to remain legally in the U.S., you must maintain nonimmigrant visa status (such as H1C) at least until the priority date is current and I-485 (adjustment  of status) can be filed. Information about priority dates is here: www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

As H visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S., your employer should have no problem in extending your nonimmigrant visa status with the USCIS even though I-140 has been filed (and approved).

Ajay K. Arora