Immigration Issues/H4 to F1 visa

Question
I am currently on H4 visa and doing my masters here in United States. I will be completing my 30 credits this December 2010. We need to complete 30 credits to graduate at this university. I want to change to student visa to apply for internships. What are my chances to get student visa? Is their a possibility of rejection?

Please advice on this issue.

Answer

An application to change status to F1 (Form I-539) should be filed with the USCIS. You should coordinate with the DSO (also known as International Student Advisor) at your university to issue you appropriate I-20. As long as you have maintained your nonimmigrant visa status in the U.S. without problems thus far, and are capable of paying the tuition (if applicable), the probability is high that change of status to F1 should be granted. In case it is not granted, you will continue to maintain your underlying H4 status as long as it does not expire and your husband maintains his H1B status.

You can contact our law firm directly during business hours at 212-268-3580 or email info@h1b1.com for guidance once you have discussed with the DSO.

Ajay K. Arora