Immigration Issues/green card through marriage

Question
Hi, I am twenty years old and have been living illegally in the US since I was six. In 2001 my uncle, who is a US citizen filed a petition for my mom. Recently I married the father of my child who is a legal resident. He is working on becoming a citizen so that he can file a petition for me. I've been told that I might have to go back to Mexico, but is there any way that I might be able to stay since there was already a petition for my mom?  

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Jesica,

Your situation might fall under an exception to the norm where a person has to leave the US (ie go back to Mexico to get your greencard).  You mentioned that your uncle petitioned for your mom in 2001.  If the date he petitioned for your mom was before 4/30/2001, then you might be able to process your own greencard through your husband IF you have proof of your uncle's petition for your mom.  This can be complicated if your uncle or mom didn't keep good records or if you aren't sure when exactly your uncle petitioned for your mother.

If you would like more information on this process and your chances of being able to do this, please contact me and we can discuss what options you might be able to pursue.  

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto