Immigration Issues/I-130/I-485/I-94 for parents

Question
I am a US citizen and submitted I-130 for my parents. They are here in the US right now but their I-94 will expire in 3 months.  The I-130 appear to take 5 months.  Can I submit I-485 while waiting for I-130 approval so that they will not lose status?

Answer

Yes, as parents of U.S. citizens are considered immediate relatives, I-485 can be filed concurrently with the I-130: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Thus, you can submit I-485 now. You should attach copy of I-130 receipt notice to the I-485 application. Your parents can continue to remain legally in the U.S. beyond I-94 expiration date without any problems and without any additional action as long as an I-485 application for each parent is filed prior to I-94 expiration.

You can reach our law firm during business hours at 212-268-3580 or email info@h1b1.com if you are considering the possibility of legal representation with the filing.

Ajay K. Arora