Immigration Issues/DS 2019 FORM

Question
Im in USA on a B1/B2 Visa. If I get a job offer with J1 Visa sponsorship, can I work on DS2019 form alone or do I have to get a J1 Visa first (either converting status within USA or getting it stamped from my home country ?

Thanks!

Answer

You need J1 status to work, as issuance of Form DS-2019 by the sponsor is insufficient. Thus, the application to change status from B1/B2 to J1 should be approved by the USCIS granting change of status. Alternatively, you can go to a U.S. Consulate in your home country to be issued J1 visa stamp, and upon entry you will be in J1 status.

Ajay K. Arora