Immigration Issues/F-1 employment regulation

Question
My husband is an American citizen and he is applying for my green card. We need to include my income in the family income.  I am a F-1 student working as a teaching assistant on campus.  When we submit all our documents, USCIS told me to prove that my income is from a lawful resource. An lawyer I talked to told me to give them my I-20 and some F-1 employment regulation citations. I didn't quite catch the latter on the phone. Could you please tell me what they are? Thanks.

Answer

F1 student status allows for on-campus employment 20 hours per week. You should speak with the DSO (also known as International Student Advisor) at your university to provide you with evidence such as a letter that the university has allowed to to work on-campus 20 hours per week. The DSO at the university takes care of the SEVIS I-20's and serves as liaison with the USCIS, and is therefore familiar with what is or is not allowed for students regarding employment.

It is also possible that you have CPT (curricular practical training) or OPT (optional practical training). Please talk with the DSO.

We have information about sponsorship by U.S. citizen here: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm and you can contact our law firm during business hours at 212-268-3580, or email info@h1b1.com for additional guidance.

Ajay K. Arora