Immigration Issues/H4 to F1 with husband in I- 140

Question

I am presently on H4 visa and am a Masters student with a partial tuition waiver.I want to change my visa status to F1 to avail assistantship and as such full tuition waiver. And also OPT. My husband is into green card processing and has filed I140.My H4 expires in Jan 2011 and we are still waiting for the H4 extension approval(applied in Aug 2010).

I want to know is it fine for me to apply for the change of status? Would there be any risk involved in that? Are there any chances of it getting rejected?

Please help.

Answer

You have an intention to immigrate to the U.S., and thus there is a possibility that the USCIS will not grant change of status from H4 to F1. Incidentally, H visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S., and thus there is never a problem in extending H visa status.

There is no harm in applying for change of status from H4 to F1. If denied, you will still maintain the underlying H4 status.

Ajay K. Arora