Immigration Issues/H4 to H1 conversion

Question

I am an employee of an Indian MNC company and would be travelling soon with my husband to US on a H4 Visa. I have taken a long term leave for this travel. Is there a way I can convert the H4 to H1 later, say 6 months down the line. Do I need to be back to India apply for a conversion petition or can I do it from US? I am aware I need an employer to sponsor the conversion, can this be done by my current company or does it have to be a US based company only? Thanking you in advance for your help.

Keya

Answer

An H1B petition can be filed by your employer requesting change of status from H4 to H1B. When granted change of status by the USCIS, you are not required to depart the U.S. and can start working for the sponsoring H1B employer upon grant of change of status.

It is OK if the sponsoring company has its headquarters outside the U.S., as long as the company has an office in the U.S.  

Ajay K. Arora