Immigration Issues/H4 to L1 conversion

Question
Hi Ajay,

I have recently got married and have both valid H-4 and L-1 on my passport. I entered US in December 2010 on H-4 visa but since I came here on leaves, now my employer wants me to join a project in USA. I have both H-4 and L-1 Visas stamped on my passport, so my question is, since filling I-539 takes a lot of time and documentation, can I go out of US to some other country like Mexico/ Bahamas and then re-enter US with my Blanket L1, instead of going all the way to India and then coming back. And if I do so, is there any possibility that they might deny me to change the Visa status this way?

Answer

Yes, you can go to Canada or Mexico or other country and when entering the U.S. please sure to display the L1 visa stamp in passport and notify the immigration inspector that you are entering the U.S. for the purpose of working for the L1 employer. At the port-of-entry, you should be issued I-94 stating L1.

Ajay K. Arora