Immigration Issues/Incorrect date of birth in passport

Question
My husband got I 140 approved and we have to now file I 485. However my date of birth in passport is exactly one year different from that which is in my Birth Certificate. I got my passport using school certificate which had incorrect date of birth. I started the process of correcting my passport and that may take another few months. I already got my school certificate corrected. Should we wait till the passport gets corrected to file I 485 or go ahead and file I 485 with the Birth Certificate and explain the discrepancy?

Answer

As the state department visa bulletin is published monthly, and there can be retrogression of visa availability in any of the employment-based categories, it is best to file I-485 in the month when the priority date becomes current. Information about priority dates is here: www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

You should state the accurate date of birth on I-485 and attach birth certificate, and explain discrepancy of date of birth in passport.

Ajay K. Arora