Immigration Issues/Moving to the USA as spouse of U.S. citizen

Question
Hi!,
I'm married to a U.S. citizen and we currently live in the UK. I'm aware that in order to move to the U.S. Permanently, my wife has to file form I-130 (with the embassy in London ?) and I believe I have to file the "adjustment of status" form - which I can'e seem to find online anymore.
My main query is who can fill in the I-864 form. We would be living with my mother in law when we move back, who has agreed to sponsor me as my wife would have to look for work there when we move. Is it possible for my mother in law to do this ? Also do I need to file any additional forms to legally work in the U.S. too ?

Thank you very much for your time.

Jamie

Answer

Your wife will I-130 petition with the U.S. Consulate in London since she is currently residing in the U.K. Once the I-130 has been approved, you will apply for and receive an immigrant visa directly at the U.S. Consulate in London. This immigrant visa will allow you to enter the U.S. as a resident and a green card will be mailed to you at your residence in the U.S. when you enter the U.S. using your immigrant visa. Entry on an immigrant visa will allow you to work legally and travel freely etc. without any further action. Additional information is here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

There is no requirement to file I-485, as you are not currently in the U.S. The Consulate will advise you when the I-130 has been approved about the steps required to actually obtain the immigrant visa at the Consulate, and an affidavit of support will be required from your spouse at that time. If her income is insufficient, any other U.S. citizen or permanent resident can also file  affidavit of support (Form I-864).

Ajay K. Arora