Immigration Issues/Opening a business on O-1

Question
Hi Ajay,

I'm a composer on O-1 visa, I work for the media company that sponsors my status,
I was wondering if I can start a separate company i.e. publishing company that would deal with music royalties and and other intellectual property matters.

Thank you for your time.

Andre

Answer

O-1 visa status is employer specific. Thus, you can be legally employed only by your O-1 employer.

It is OK to be an investor in O-1 status (or any other visa status), but from your email it appears that you will be actively involved in day-to-day management (rather than a passive investor) of the company that you plan on starting. The USCIS is likely to consider this employment with the new company even if you do not actually receive a salary from this new company.

Ajay K. Arora