Immigration Issues/Regaining green card

Question
I voluntarily abandoned my permanent residence card/green card a few years back, as I was living outside of the US and have been for a number of years.  I am a citizen of Denmark, but my son was born in the US and holds a US & Danish passport.  I would now like to return to live and work in the US.  How do I go about 'regaining' a green card and approximately how much time do you think the process will take.  What do you recommend?

Answer

Your son can live in the U.S. anytime without any restrictions, but he can sponsor you only when he is 21 years of age: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

For you to remain permanently in the U.S., the green card process will need to be started all over again. If you gained your green card through employer sponsorship, see if an employer can again start the green card process for you. Or if you gained your green card through family sponsorship (for example through marriage to a U.S. citizen) see if that option is still available.

You can work in the U.S. temporarily if you find an employer willing to file H1B petition for you.

Ajay K. Arora