Immigration Issues/I-130 & I-485

Question
my wife and i decided to get married 6 weeks after she arrived. she can remain here legally until nov. 2. we have filled I-130 with uscis. but it says in the instructions for the I-485 that we must have a approval notice on the I-130 before we can send in the I-485 package. can my wife remain here legally until the I-130 is approved or must we file the I-485 package with uscis before the nov. 2 deadline for her to remail here legally. thanks.

Answer

I-485 can be filed concurrently with the I-130. Alternatively, I-485 can be filed after I-130 has been filed. I recommend that you now wait until the USCIS has issued the I-130 receipt notice (about 2 weeks after filing of I-130) and attach copy of this receipt notice when filing the I-485.

Your wife can remain legally in the U.S. only if the I-485 is filed no later than Nov. 02.

The following information may be helpful: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

Ajay K. Arora