Immigration Issues/I-864

Question
QUESTION: my wife came here on tourist visa and i ask her to marry me and we were married 6 weeks later and are filling I-485 package because we have allready filled I-130 and received 797. i have been unemployed for 2 1/2 years, but have apx. $250,000 dollars in the bank between ira/savings,checking accounts, do you think that i need a sponsor for my wife to stay here and get approved or not. i am 50 years old. thanks.

ANSWER: Dear John,

Although your assets are sizable and does satisfy the financial requirements under the law, USCIS may still require a joint sponsor if the officer determines that your assets are not liquid.  If you show them that you have a steady stream of income every months from dividend payments or other annuities and the amount exceeds the required amount under the Federal Poverty guideline I think you will not be required to have a joint sponsor.

http://www.immigrationattorneyla.com

QUESTION: i forgot to mention that i own my own homw worth about $150,000 dollars. if i go thru this and do not use a sponsor wil uscis rell me that i need one or will they deny it and tell me them and make me file again.

Answer
Hey John,

No, USCIS will not deny before you are given a chance to supply a joint sponsor.  Go ahead and file without one, and USCIS will ask you for one if USCIS determines that you need one.  You will be given the chance to supplement the file and the case will not be denied for lack of one without notice.

Jack Sung