Immigration Issues/I-94 expiring soon, receipt notice not received

Question
My I94 expires on 30-Oct 2011. My employer has applied with USCIS since 10-Oct. However i have not yet received the Receipt Number from them. Could you please advise if i can still continue to stay in US without the receipt number from USCIS.

Answer

It typically takes 2 to 3 weeks to receive the receipt notice by mail from the USCIS after filing. Your employer (or the attorney who prepared the H1B petition) will receive the receipt notice. You can continue to remain legally in the U.S. since the H1B petition was filed prior to expiration of your I-94. In addition, if this was extension of H1B status (either through the same employer or a different employer) you can continue to be employed (for up to 240 days) by the H1B employer while waiting for H1B petition to be approved. Additional general information is here: www.h1b1.com/concurrent.htm

Ajay K. Arora