Immigration Issues/Green card when turning 21

Question
hi i'm just wondering.. cause im 20 right now and im dependent still to my dad who have a working visa (H-1b).. his been in america for 4 years now.. and i've been here for 3 years now.. but the problem is his company will apply him for green card next year my visa will expire by January.. my question is if he change his status what will happen to me?? is it gonna change too?? or they will make me go home cause my passport will be expired before that and cant renew cause i'm not dependent no more

Answer

You would need to change to an visa status independent of your father prior to turning 21 years of age. Changing to a student status (F1 visa status) is a realistic possibility, but please check with the college or university DSO (also known as international student advisor) so that you are issued Form I-20 to enable you to change status. Information about student status is here: www.h1b1.com/F1visa.htm

Failure to file for change of status prior to turning 21 will require departure from the U.S.  

Ajay K. Arora