Immigration Issues/immigration related



My wife has applied for Manitoba Immigration. I am also accompanying as a spouse. Our points and all other things are OK except one problem. I (Spouse) alone was in UK and overstayed there for some years and came back to India. My details are in the UK database that i was overstayed there. I lost my passport and got fresh (Blank)replacement passport from passport office in India. Old passport number is although mentioned in new passport.  I didn't mentioned about my visit to UK while applying for Manitoba. Will i get problem in getting Manitoba visa when my documents will come to Canadian High commission in New Delhi? Do canadian embassy cross check previous status of applicant in countries other than Canada? Please advice as i m worried.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.  I need to understand what you are asking.  I'm assuming that your wife has applied under the Provincial Nominee Program for Manitoba.  Are you saying that you stayed in the UK for a few years but did not indicate that you were in the UK at all on your immigration application forms for Manitoba and Citizenship and Immigration Canada?


Roxanne Jessome
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks for Reply.

I mentioned about my stay but didnt mention about overstay, as i applied for another visa in UK after expiry of first visa and didnt get the visa and came back. So its the duration after my visa expired and waiting for another visa to be stamped.It is clear in my application that i waited for next visa after expiry of first visa in UK.


Thank you for replying to my question.

As long as you indicated that you were in the UK and the time you stayed, everything will be fine even with the overstay.  If you were in the UK for more than 6 months you will be asked to obtain a police clearance from there when you submit your application for permanent residence once the Manitoba PNP application is approved.

The overstay will not have a negative affect on you since you are applying for permanent residence as a provincial nominee.  Therefore you are showing intent to remain permanently in Canada.  If you were applying for a visit, the overstay would work against you.  But not in the case of permanent residence.

I hope that helps.


Roxanne Jessome
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.