Immigration Issues/J-1 student in USA getting married a Canadian citizen

Question
Hi I am a Colombian citizen living in USA with a J-1 visa sponsored by Fulbright, I am just starting my Ph.D program and i have permit to live here during 5 years. I plan to get married with a Canadian citizen, but i am not sure what the best way to do is.
I donīt plan to get a waiver in my 2 year permanent residence in my home country, in fact I plan to take my future husband with me to Colombia. As he is not a US citizen I am not sure if I could get married here or if I want to get married in Canada, what should i do?

thanks in advance

Answer
Hello Katia,

Thank you for your question.  If you want to get married in Canada, you will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa as a Visitor to enter Canada.  With respect to being able to get married in Canada, you would need to check with the provincial authority responsible for marriage (Department of Vital Statistics) to find out what documentation will be required for the province where the marriage will take place.

I cannot answer any questions about your fiance being able to stay in the US while you study.  Please ask that question to an expert on US immigration law.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Jessome
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519
www.joincanada.com

Roxanne Jessome