Immigration Issues/J-1 student in USA marrying Canadian

Question
Hi I am a Colombian citizen living in USA with a J-1 visa sponsored by Fulbright, I am just starting my Ph.D program and i have permit to live here during 5 years. I plan to get married with a Canadian citizen, but i am not sure what the best way to do is. He doesnīt live in USA, he just "visit".
I donīt plan to get a waiver in my 2 year permanent residence in my home country, in fact I plan to take my future husband with me to Colombia. As he is not a US citizen I am not sure if I could get married here or if I want to get married in Canada, what should i do?

thanks in advance

Answer

You can be legally married in the U.S. irrespective of your immigration status. In addition, marriage will not interfere with your current J1 status, as your husband (when you are married) is not capable of sponsoring you for lawful permanent resident status in the U.S., and in any event you do not plan on residing permanently in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora