Immigration Issues/Marrying a US citizen for green card and US immigration reform

Question
Hello Again Mr Sung.
Thank you for not only responding,but also answering my questions promptly as well(I sent you a e-mail with a couple questions on allexperts)

Got a couple questions real quick;
1.What are the steps(legal and financial)to marry a US citizen for legal status?
2.What should an immigrant who is out of status do to prepare him/her self(legally and financially)before enacted immigration reform legislation EVER happens?

Thank you for time Mr Sung.

Answer

First you need to know that you cannot get married for the sole purpose of legalizing your status.  That would be called a marriage fraud.  If it's a real marriage, you should get married first to obtain a marriage certificate and gather supporting evidence regarding bona fide marriage, identity and affidavit of support documents.  After all of the supporting documents are done, including the medical exam, the applicant should submit them to USCIS and in 5 months time there will be an interview to verify that the marriage is real.  After verification and USCIS is satisfied that it is a real marriage, the applicant's status will be adjusted.

a. don't work in any places that will be raided, i.e., places where many undocumented workers work, such as massage parlor, certain restaurant or factory plants, etc.

b. don't drive without a driver's license because of police pull-over

c. don't cross state lines on ground pubilc transit, there are many checkpoints.

d. avoid committing crimes or being arrested for anything, it will trigger an immigration hold

If you like my answer please consider making a donation to my allexpert account. It's a new feature and I am hoping someone will try it to see if it works, even if it's just $10.

Jack Sung