You are here:

Immigration Issues/Translation of Birth Certificate


QUESTION: Dear Jessome,
I got my birth certificate translated. The translation was done on a plain paper by a translator and  was attested by Notary Public counter stamped by Justice of Peace. Would this be considered proper according to guideline of Immigration Canada? The guide speaks of "Affidavit by Translator" What is this affidavit? is it a separate document other then translation?  
Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: Dear Bassanio,

The Affidavit is typically another piece of paper where the translator states their name, that they are fluent in the language they have translated, the name of the document translated (birth certificate) swears that he has completed the translation to the best of his knowledge and it is a true and accurate rendering of the document.  If a translator is registered with a governing body (association) they will typically state they are a member of that body and their membership number.

I hope that helps.


Roxanne Jessome
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Member No. R412519

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I got your point about affidavit. But some notaries here in Karachi  and some people who have filed there application in past say that just attestation by notary is enough and no separate affidavit is required. is this true?

Hello Bassanio,

I'm sorry for the delay in my reply.  I've checked with a couple of colleagues who have a great deal of experience with the visa office in Islamabad and they advise that the attestation by the notary will be enough.  I hope that helps.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.