Immigration Issues/Affidavit of support nad 3 years tax returns

Question
Hello Ajay,

I make 45k a year meaning more than I need to be able to sponsor my spouse in a green card marriage petition.

I noticed that it is requested to file my taxes for the last 3 years which makes me think that my income for the last 3 years need to be able to sponsor my spouse and ITS NOT. I just got the job recently and did not make the minimum in the previous 3 years.

what do you think?

thanks

Answer

Recent guidance from the USCIS requires that only copy of the latest tax return is required to show ability to support a spouse, and thus although mandatory to list prior 3 years' income on the affidavit of support, only the latest tax return will be taken into account.

Ajay K. Arora