Immigration Issues/F1 Visa for H4 applicant

Question
Hi,I am currently on H4 visa and want to pursue education and then take the job.I am planning to get a course of 6-9 month.What would be the procedure the get the F1 visa?do I need to go back to my home country and then get it stamped?Please suggest.

Answer

After admission to the program of study, and issuance of Form I-20 by the institute, an application to change status should be filed with the USCIS. It will take several months for approval, and you will not be required to depart the U.S.

Incidentally, you can study in H4 visa status; you are not required to obtain F1 visa status.

Ajay K. Arora