Immigration Issues/immigration


hello my husband had a court hearing yesterday to see if he could get an immigration bond but it was denied my question is what else can i do for him not to get deported and also how long can he last in immigration custody before he gets deported to his country

Dear Sandy,

1. You should hire an immigration lawyer to look into filing a bond redetermination for your husband.  I am not sure if this was already done at the last hearing, but if it was not, you should do it right away.

2. You should be advised that certain criminal offenses will render your husband ineligible for immigration bond.  I do not have any information about your husband's criminal convictions, if any, so please run this issue through with the immigration lawyer.

3. You should also be advised that repeated violations of immigration law (returning after deportation, failure to attend court in the past, attempts to enter the country illegally) may also render your husband ineligible for bond.  I don't have any information regarding your husband's immigration history, so please run this issue through with the immigration lawyer as well.

4. If he is already been deported (has an order or deportation or removal), how soon he will be deported depends on what country he is from.  Some countries like Mexico result in swift deportation while others like Vietnam takes forever due to government delays.

I hope this helps.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack Sung


Can answer: Immigration and visa issues Can't answer: Everything else


Been a practicing immigration attorney for 4 years.

Taiwanese American Lawyers Association. American Immigration Lawyers Association. Los Angeles County Bar Association

Southwestern International Law Journal

J.D. from Southwestern Univ. School of Law in 2007. Licensed attorney in California

Awards and Honors
LACBA 2011 Outstanding Public Service Award

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]